Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Lori Whitlock Tutorial: Shaped Christmas Cards

I'm so excited to be sharing on Lori Whitlock's blog today one of my all time favorite ways to use her adorable cutting files:  Shaped Cards!!!

There are so many different ways to approach shaped cards.  For my first card I took Lori's Santa Tote and cut off the flap and removed the hole in his hat (which formed the handle) to transform it into a cute card instead.


For my second card I used Lori's Present cutting file into a card, pairing it with her button cutting file to form the knot on the bow.  I also elongated the gift to so that the overall dimensions of the card would be 4.25 x 5.5 inches to perfectly fill an A2 sized envelope.  To form my card base I cut 2 of the overall outline of the gift from white cardstock by welding all the shapes together.


For my snowman card I transformed another one of Lori's treat box using the 3D Snowman Tote cutting file.  Once again I removed the circle handle in the top and instead cut a bigger circle to form a pom-pom for my snowman's hat.  Rather than cutting two to form my card base, I mirrored my base shape and overlapped the two ever so slightly and welded them together, using a bone folder to create my crease and fold the card after cutting.  To give a little shine to the eyes and mouth, I added glossy accents.


For my Nativity card I cut two of my background shape from the blue cardstock to form my card base and scored the back piece along the top so that my score line was parallel to the bottom of the card.  Martha Stewart's Score Board is an awesome tool for this.  I then just added adhesive above the score line and adhered it to the other card base piece.

I printed my sentiment on the computer using iridescent gold paper and popped the top portion up with foam tape.  I finished off my card with random dots of Stickles "stardust" glitter glue to give the look of a star filled sky.


This last card is a favorite of mine using Lori's Ice Skate diecut from her Christmas Winter Set (available in the Silhouette store).  To create my card base I used the same method as I did on my nativity card.  To give my skate a more realistic look I also chose to cut the blade from iridescent silver paper.

I had so much fun embellishing the skate!  I chose to discard the curly cutout for the laces and instead used my We R Memory Keepers crop-a-dile to set a row of eyelet along the edge.  I then ran bakers twine through them and added a bow to the top.  To ground my sentiment I slipped one of Lori's snowflakes behind a basic circle.


If you are still with me I've created a video showcasing some tips and sharing a few ways I've created my card bases to form my shaped cards today.  :)



Today I used the following cutting files designed by Lori which are available to purchase in her shop:
Thanks so much for stopping by.  If you are new to my Silhouette tutorials you can find a few more previous videos at my You Tube channel found HERE.

5 comments:

  1. The cards are absolutely adorable-especially the love the Santa one! Great ideas.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. These cards are completely adorable & SUPERB. Your Cameo skills amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I am a sucker for snowmen though so he is my favorite! Fantastic tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love these ideas for using Lori's files as I am a huge fan of hers too! I thought you really did a great job on the video.......but I have one suggestion. I think it would be easier for the viewers to see what you are doing if you do away with the grid for the video. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I will try to remember that. I usually design my projects with them on so I can see how big something is at a glance or line them up on my cutting mat with small scraps of paper, but I will try to remember to turn them off for videos. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...